Lots of American Express cardholders have been targeted for the iTunes offer: Spend $5 at iTunes, get $5 back. A co-worker of mine told me that he currently has a large gift card credit on his iTunes account, and that he was unable to take advantage of the $5 statement credit offer because iTunes did not allow him to pay with a credit card when he had a gift card credit on his account. If you’re experiencing this problem, here is a way around it:
- Create a second iTunes account or use a friend’s/relative’s account.
- Add your American Express card as the preferred payment method for the iTunes account.
- Open up iTunes on your computer. Go to the iTunes store, log out, then log in with the secondary account credentials.
- Make a purchase of at least $5. Your item will download onto YOUR iTunes library, since you’re doing this from your computer.
- Once the purchase is made, remove the payment information from the account, log out, and log back in with your primary iTunes account information.
- Enjoy a $5 statement credit from American Express.
Before you do all of this, you’ll of course have to sign-up for the offer by logging into your American Express account and clicking “save” next to the $5 iTunes offer. With the new American Express offers site you can also take advantage of these offers by syncing your account to Twitter, Facebook, and other social media platforms.
Subscribe via email for more points, miles and free travel